For many years I have heard Donne dunning my ears, but his catchy lil blank verse really borders on stupidity, though it does have bearing on so many folks’ hyper-engagement in “news” reporting of current events (see above reference to “stupidity”).
‘No Man is an Island’
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man’s death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Pardon me while I both gag and throw the bullshit flag. Sure, in some theoretical way, the death of someone I do not know and never would have known “diminishes” me, but in reality? If someone dies and they are not at least a close acquaintance, I have no connection to them, and their death is something for their friends, family, and close acquaintances to be impacted by, not me.
Folks who get all “het up” over events that happen to others they have never even met are just borrowing troubles not their own and filling their lives with fake emotions. It’s the same sort of unhealthy behavior as being devoted to a professional sports team or idolizing some entertainer.
BTW, Donne’s death in no way impacted my life. I never knew him (of course) and I really DGARA when or how he died. His life impacted me mainly through my irritation at his stupid verse reproduced here. I would not have been “diminished” one whit had he never written this drivel.
EDC/GOOD bags: general.
- EDC bags for each car containing food, clothing, etc., for a day or so, plus FAK, knives and multi-tools, DOPP bags, etc.1, with car-specific items in a separate trunk “box.”
- Another 60L bag big enough for two of these EDC bags plus vacuum-packed clothing and food for two additional days.
- Water bottles, enough for a day, and SODIS water purification systems.
One small-caliber hand gun with 50 rounds (for light weight and compact packing/and holster for concealed carry).
- Tablets, phones, chargers (car and small solar) and external batteries have pockets available in 60L bag.
- Small”rocket stove” with multi-fire-starting and fuel options.2
- Space blankets and ponchos
- USB flash drives/bracelets with scans (in pdf format) of important data and documents, plus medalert bracelets with downloadable records.
(Emergency supplies in local [at home] storage are MUCH more copious, of course, but still probably not good for more than four months in food, outside a growing season. That needs some supplementation.)
So, should I include a “scout rifle” as well in or attached to the 60L GOOD bag?
Oh, neglected this: 72-hour supply of pet food, water, appropriate bowls, etc. Carriers for cats. (45L bag for pet supplies with room for another small pack containing data/devices.)
Methinks I probably ought to make provision to grab the NAS that has backups of important data, as well.
OK, that pretty well takes care of one to three days emergency prep.
Hangup bag packed with “dress” clothes–call it the “Funeral bag,” because not all short-notice trips are life-challenging emergencies.
1Collapsed roll of toilet paper included with regular DOPP bag goodies (toothcare, soap and shampoo, general toiletries, etc.)
2Lint and wax tinder, matches, fire steel, lighters.