Here’s a change of pace. This bread recipe has been a hit at my house. I make it in my bread machine, but if you do the knead-rise-punchdown-etc. routine, I imagine it’d work as well for that, too.
Add these ingredients in this order to your bread machine, set it for a 2-pound loaf and the crust you want (I choose “darker” for mine, YMMV) and walk away.
- 1.5 cups warm water (about 115 degrees fahrenheit)
- 0.5-1.0 tsp salt (mostly a matter of taste)
- 2 Tbs oil (I prefer a good, full-flavored olive oil for this)
- 1 egg (added last immediately before the dry ingredients)
Mix the dry ingredients separately and add them all at once:
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 0.25 C oat bran
- 0.25 C garbanzo bean flour
- 0.25 C vanilla protein powder (mostly soy)
- 0.25 C corn meal
- 0.25 C sunflower seeds
Hit the start button and let the feast begin!
This is a rather heavy bread, but it bakes up nicely andâ€”most importantlyâ€”is delicious. That it is also packed with nutrients is a lil lagniappe.